Sunday, March 12, 2006

 

Rave - Nike's Latest MJ Commercial

I never owned a pair of Air Jordans. After my experience with PF Flyers as a kid taught me not to believe the marketing hype ("run faster and jump higher!"), I did not see the need to invest a day's pay in a pair of shoes, especially when my competitive hoops career ended when I was cut from the 9th grade team. That led to me becoming the manager and managers don't need fancy, slick looking basketball shoes to keep stats, film games or sweep the floors.
However, I always loved Nike's Air Jordan ads. My favorites had Spike Lee as Mars Blackmon ("gotta be the shoes"). It was always a pleasure to see how much fun both Michael and Nike could have with his image as it developed.

The new ad from Nike only shows Michael for about two seconds but it still is a terrific spot. It builds like a little drama over 60 seconds as young basketball players from around the world mimic Michael's most famous idiosyncracies and moves. Michael shows up at the end watching a street game and nodding as if he is an elder stateman who is approving the performance of the next generation. I understand that it was made with almost no enhanced effects. The players actually executed the moves you see. I expect that we'll see a lot of this spot on ESPN and CBS as March Madness heats up. Check it out yourself at
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7356763155472762246

Make sure you have the sound on so that you can listen to the music as well. It is an important part of the dramatic arc of the ad.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?