Tuesday, March 10, 2009

 

Ken Jennings Tuesday Trivia - March 10

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS
1. Whose barbershop was located at 186 Fleet Street, London, next to St. Dunstan's Church? Sweeney Todd's. know any other demon barbers of Fleet Street?
2. "One could change the world with 140 characters" is the motto of Jack Dorsey, the founder of what website? 140 characters --> Twitter
3. What country's economy melted down in 2008 following the collapse of its three national banks: Glitnir, Landsbanki, and Kaupthing? Iceland. This seems like an easy week.
4. On average, a Big Mac contains 178 of what ingredient? sesame seeds
5. At what battle was a bugle tune called the "Deguello" famously played? No idea so I'll guess. Battle of the Alamo.
6. What do all animals with a "cloaca" use it for? I know this from a question at the high school science bowl competition I just moderated. Cloacas are used to lay eggs.
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series? The Guardian, Hong Kong, Kings, Legend of the Seeker, Moonlight, Prison Break, The United States of Tara, Without a Trace. I have never watched any of these shows. Will need to do some research.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS
1. The tiny town of Gibsland, Louisiana is home to the "Ambush Museum," commemorating the nearby deaths of what two people? Bonnie and Clyde, killed there on May 23, 1934. Hey, that's exactly forty years to the day before my birthday. correct
2. Which section of an orchestra typically sits in front, closest to the conductor? The strings (violins, to be specific), since they tend to play at a lower volume than the other instruments. correct
3. The infamous "Order 66" was responsible for the near-total execution of what group? The Jedi. Though I admired the heck out of more serious-minded answers like "the Romanoffs" or "Rwandan Tutsis" or "Branch Davidians." But they're still wrong. groan
4. The Sahara, the world's largest hot desert, is of course the largest desert in Africa. What desert is Africa's second largest? The Kalahari, in Botswana and Namibia, is in fact the world's largest fourth largest hot desert. correct
5. David Wild's 2008 memoir He Is...I Say is about being a fan of what musician? Neil Diamond--the title is a reference to his hit "I Am...I Said." I'm thinking of writing a follow-up called He Isn't...I Say, about my lifelong desire to beat up Neil Diamond. correct
6. What has happened recently if "lapilli" are falling out of the air? A volcano has erupted--lapilli are the little particles that fall our of the air when drops of lava cool into rock after an eruption. I'll be sure to look for these the next time I witness a volcanic eruption
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these athletes? Tommy Corcoran, Frankie Frisch, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Gretzky, Thierry Henry, Scott Skiles, Ozzie Smith, John Stockton. They all hold records (game, season, career, whatever) for "assists" in their various professional sports organizations. For the first time ever, I thought I'd write a sports-themed Question Seven where the non-North Americans might actually have a chance! correct

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?